November 10, 2010

Din Tai Fung (Sydney CBD)

By Boo_e


“World’s best dumplings” is their claim. I just had to see for myself just how good these dumplings were. We wandered down George St towards World Square after work drinks, and our anticipation grew with each step. In fact I was so excited that by the time we got there I had shouted, “that’s us”, loud enough for the whole floor to hear when our number was called out. It was quite embarrassing, but not enough to put us off our long awaited date with Din Tai Fung’s dumplings.

I'll have one of those on the wall please.
We ordered 2 serves of the soup dumplings because that’s their most famous dish. It even had instructions on how to eat them. I didn’t follow the instructions because let’s face it, I’m a seasoned dumplings eater and need no direction in that part of my life. One advice I would give you though is to wait a little before you pop one of those suckers into your mouth- it will burn the begeeezes out of your tongue and ruin the rest of your meal. These soup dumplings were quite good, the soup to dumpling ratio was perfect but the flavour of the dumpling itself was not so much different from the usual pork and chive dumplings you can get at any other dumplings restaurant.

Xiao long bao (soup dumplings) $8.80
For me the best dumpling dish of the night was the wanton style dumplings in spicy sauce. They were delectable! The sauce had a spicy, peppery sweetness that went so well with the dumplings. There was a choice between pork or prawns. I liked both of them.

Prawn and pork wonton in spicey sauce $8.80
 We also had some non dumpling dishes as well, such as: the hand made sesame noodles, pork and cabbage salad, hot and sour soup and Din Tai Fung's vegetarian salad. I liked having the option of getting a small salad and some noodles with my dumplings. There seem to be lots of dishes on the menu but you’ll find that if you look closely, the dishes are just various combinations of the same things. 

Sesame noodle, dry $10.80
Picked vegetable and shredded pork salad $3.80
Hot and sour soup with shredded pork, reg. $7.80
DTF vegetarian delight with seaweed, dried tofu, glass noddle with sesame dressing $3.80

For dessert we had the mango pudding. It was very ordinary and I would not recommend sticking around for dessert at Din Tai Fung. You’re better off just moving on to another place for your sweets.

Mango pudding $5.80

Wokking rating /5:

Din Tai Fung
644 George St
Sydney
02 9264 6010

View Larger Map Din Tai Fung on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment